Friday, January 4, 2008

What a Wonderful Start to 2008!

Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa
Grove Park Inn (Fairway View)
Grove Park Inn Spa

The family (except Blake, who was to return to Wofford the next day) left early January 1st for North Carolina. After dropping the kids off with my in-laws for a brief stay while Stan and I continued our journey to Asheville, for a much needed relaxing getaway. Have I said that my hubby is so wonderful, he planned three days of pure relaxation at the Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa. Upon entering the Grand Old Hall around 4 p.m. we heard buzzing of possible snow at 8 p.m. (who has ever heard of an exact time for snow to fall). We checked in and proceeded to our 7th floor room in the Sammons Wing. We passed wonderful displays of handmade gingerbread houses lining the massive hallways, some made by youth, teens and adults. Our room view was spectacular, we overlooked the 17th green, the 18th tee box and fairway, the city skyline and the mountains. Once settled my first request for the trip was to see my Gram's grave site, so off we trekked to Enka about 15 minutes to the west. The wind was howling and darkness was falling but I quickly located the grave site, took my pictures and off we went. With the temperature dropping and the thoughts of snowfall at precisely 8 p.m., we decided to head back to the Resort but stopping first by the grocery store for snacks and a bottle of wine followed by a quick dinner. While leaving the restaurant, I noticed what stupid me thought was a possible bug turned out to be a snowflake at 7:59 p.m. (us sandlappers obviously don't see snow enough to recognize the difference promptly). We laughed at both the exact time of snow fall and my stupidity with seeing bugs in 29 degree weather. We returned to the Resort and settled in for the evening. Waking early the next morning to see just how much snow mother nature had left over night, we quickly sent pictures to all the kids and my work to share the beauty. We enjoyed the winter wonderland views and ended the day at Elaine's Dueling Piano Bar singing and laughing the night away. Now Thursday was the highlight of the trip, an all day retreat at the Spa which is recognized as the premier Spa in the Southeast. I have never been pampered so much in my life. Stan was treated to an 80 minute reflexology message and me an 80 minute Grove Park custom message, upon finishing we relaxed with warm clover scented shoulder drapes in front of one of the many fireplaces sipping herbal teas and water. We finally left the fireplace to explore the dramatic indoor waterfalls, mineral pools and contrast pools before having a 3 o'clock lunch at the Spa Cafe'. Stan and I drug each other like two drunken cootes back to our room where we collapsed from sheer relaxation. We were mush and it was wonderful! We regained our ability to move and headed to dinner at The Blue Ridge (located in the Grove Park Inn overlooking the Asheville skyline) before enjoying another evening at Elaine's Dueling Piano Bar also located in the Grove Park Inn. I just love a resort will all amenities located on site. Thank you Stan for taking such good care of me and I will be more than happy to return to the Grove Park Inn for our golf day since we had to cancel due to snow....if we can enjoy the spa again.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I am sooo jealous! I will have to start hitting up Scott for that!

Pop and Pat's World said...

Was it as nice as you and I discussed? Wonderful place to visit. Remember the dinners on the balcony?